I don’t think you would *have* to line them with parchment paper, but since the cake is on the more delicate side – I would strongly recommend lining it to be safe. Hi — looking for a fruitcake to make as part of this year’s holiday gift baskets. I drained off the rest the next day. Bake the cakes on the middle shelf of the oven, as follows: about 60 minutes for the individual cakes; 65 to 70 minutes for the small loaves; 75 minutes for the medium loaves, and 2 hours + 10 to 15 minutes for the 9" x 5" loaves. I’m definitely going to try this cake but i also want to try all the recipes you’ve posted. Merry Christmas! Haha. I made this last year and am soaking my fruit again at this moment. You and me both. Best Rich Fruit Cake Recipe, Rich Fruit Cake Recipes, Fruitcake Recipe, Fruit Cake for Christmas Bake in a double boiler.  Just add a cup of tea!  Mom keeps insisting I could not have been more wrong. This is on my next one to try.  Have you tried it with brandy? But, this traditional fruit cake recipe is simply delicious and well worth it. Decorate with candied fruit and glacé cherries, This fruitcake slices into 50-80 small pieces if you use it for a wedding or christening. I’m a professionally trained chef and food writer. Rum isn’t used for wrapping because its incredibly alcoholic/dry and honestly just doesn’t taste incredible for that type of application (where it’s not cooked off). You could add the orange juice if you want, but I would personally not. Yours looks sooo good. On that note, my GUESS is that it would make four loaves of that size. It is the BEST! Put fruit, sugar, butter and liquid to a pan and simmer slowly for 20 minutes, cool then add beaten egg, fold in flour. And I don’t like royal icing or marzipan–so I definitely left that out for a reason, haha. If you are looking to make a traditional fruit Christmas cake and have at least a month to go before Christmas then check out our Old Fashioned Christmas Fruitcake Recipe which needs to be feed leading up to Christmas. This fruit cake is not your average fruit cake recipe. Personally, I think this particular fruitcake recipe isn’t as ideal for that, because it is SO LOADED on fruit (and it could potentially break if it’s not in a loaf form). Hi Thea! Is there an option for those who don’t drink alcohol? =). Seems like you really tested the formula . Hmm, I’m not as sure about the marsala substitute, because I’ve never tried that and my mom hasn’t used that. Roll out into a thin layer, cut into strips the size of the sides / top of the loaf and apply. If you make this cake again in the future and have a location near you, the best place that I can find dried unsweetened fruit is Trader Joe’s. So sorry for only just getting back to you. Alcohol should cook off during baking, but I’m not sure if that is still a problem with allergies! This fruit cake recipe yields 2 loaf cakes. This year I remembered and thought I might tell you so that you can change it for others. Wow!   LAURA, I can not thank you enough. Hope you like it :’). Grease and line 5-6 mini loaf pans. Fruit. I plan to reapply the liquor every week. BBC Good Food online webinarsExpand your cooking skills with our online masterclasses. So my question is can I replace the soaking rum and whiskey with liqueur? I admit it. Hi, this is my first time trying to bake a fruit cake. Plus, I’ve just never made this particular cake in one, so I’m hesitant to say an exact recipe conversion. Hope this fruit cake recipe becomes a family staple! This fruit cake recipe features their All-Clad Pro-Release Loaf Pan. https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/christmas-special-fruitcake The cake has a ton of dried fruit in it, so it is by nature moist, but you could try increased the alcohol amount a bit. ), the second loaf will go to a family friend in another state. Be sure to use unsweetened dried fruit for best results. Hot toddy fruitcake. This fruit cake looks amazing! Thanks for your comment and appreciate you sharing more details. You’d be better off just omitting the apple altogether. After all, fruit cake is one of the most ridiculed baked goods in existence! Hope this helps! I just provide the recipe for you to make at home. I happened to try out another recipe of eggless fruitcake from a Prestige SmartChef website and it looked quite similar. Hello Laura. We’ve been making this fruitcake for years, so I’m very confident in the recipe – but it does get prepared way in advance, so I think people forget to come back and tell me the final outcome! Magazine subscription – save 44% and get a cookbook of your choice. I know that I, and others, really appreciate it. Hope this helps and I replied soon enough!! Mary Berry has created the perfect fruit cake recipe for Christmas. And yes to the feedback. Line the … Will be using Sandemans med dry sherry after they come out of oven tomorrow and for the next few weeks. I prefer the flavor and taste of the sherry and triple sec, but you could absolutely use rum if that’s you preference!  I know you don’t like it, but I love marzipan. This is the easiest and best holiday fruit cake recipe ever. I want to make plenty for gift giving and there’s no room in the refrigerator.  I soaked my fruit in peach brandy for about a week. I have no idea where she got it but I do know that everyone who's tried it loves it! Did want to point out though that I don’t believe baking powder and nutmeg are mentioned in the recipe itself, but are listed in the ingredients? So, adding this to my favorites. That will definitely work. - 21 Dec 2017 More Collections. Finally, stir in the baking powder.  For me, recipe makes 2 loaves….. just took one out of refrig made Nov 2016 & so delicious! Try icing with almond paste for a more festive touch. Laura! Never understood the lack of enthusiasm for them in the USA. Really appreciate you taking the time to come back and leave your thoughts. Cakes with Fruit. You definitely don’t have to soak it for all of that time! Step 1.Boil the dry fruits In a medium saucepan, combine the butter with the raisins, cranberries, brown sugar,molasses and water and bring to a boil. Your email address will not be published. Took around 45 minutes to cook. hi laura- i am getting ready to make my fruitcakes for christmas. When I talk about delicious fruitcake growing up, I don’t mean that boxed stuff that the grown-ups tried to make you eat as a kid. But yours looks amazing! If you’re ever gonna try one, definitely make sure it’s this one. I already told my mom I will be making Christmas fruitcake for the first time this year!! Mine didn’t turn brown though; they stayed a medium pail brown. Hi, I’m Laura! I always love hearing from people that try my recipes, particularly this one as it is a family staple and something we also look forward to enjoying each holiday season.  Didn’t have the exact fruits, so improvised, with quite a bit of dates, some dried mango, lots of raisins, some dried cherries, but it really didn’t matter. I’m talking about homemade fruit cake that’s moist, flavorful, and has the perfect amount of spices. I hope you love the fruit cakes!!! To cut the sweetness and add amazing flavor, we’ll soak the dried fruit mixture in dark rum the day before baking. The alcohol cuts sweetness and makes this cake so fragrant and delicious! Ideal for a wedding cake too, MasterChef finalist Tim Kinnaird's boozy pud is one Christmas treat that's just for the adults, If anyone in your family isn't keen on traditional fruitcake, this might be the compromise you've been looking for, Mix dried fruit, nuts, cranberries and maple syrup on Stir-up Sunday for this crowd-pleasing Christmas cake that improves as it keeps, If you’re not keen on icing and marzipan, bake a crown of toasted nuts, seeds and juicy cherries onto How do I use the parchment paper? Hmmm…I’m not sure if I would soak it honestly if you aren’t going to use alcohol. Gently fold in the fruit then spoon the mixture into the tin. Thank you so much for taking the time to come back and leave a recipe review.  I am just surprised that you have to keep it in the refrigerator…  Generally, the alcohol keeps it from spoiling. I also have some 100% cotton pillow cases that I wouldn’t mind tearing to long strips. No, it is supposed to be stored in the fridge! also, i can’t really taste the difference between the dried cherries and the raisins– but i think it is probably because i used brandy, a grape product, instead of rum. I think they thought I was asking for Triple X and they gave me that. Thanks Tieghan!! I admit it. Pre-heat the oven to 170°C/150°C fan/gas mark 3, and line a small cake tin (15cm / 6in) with grease-proof paper. This step contributes additional moisture, as well as allows the flavors in the cake to meld and deepen over time. all in all successful fruitcake with dried fruit instead of candied– i think tho i will use a few candied cherries next year– for the festive look they provide! I am going to try to bake this cake based on yr recipe. I haven’t personally, but I think a 1:1 gluten free substitute flour (like Bobs Red Mill or Cup4Cup) would probably work. I have not tested this variation though! Gives it a nice crunchy texture.As soon as the cake cooled down, I took a slice, with a pretty blunt knife, I couldn’t wait to taste it and it was sooo good. Sorry for only just responding to this Lisa! Left a comment last year while the cakes were baking, now I’m back again to say they came out perfect and I’m making them again for the second year in a row!! I’ve also added custom metric measurements to make it accessible to everyone. Oh, i didn’t mean paper kitchen towels, but the cotton type (English is not my first language). Probably make a giant one in a tube pan. Don’t use any of the knobbly type, you want to use something that won’t leave any sort of lint and is a smooth linen/thin cotton one. Or it’s the scene from Harry met Sally. it could have used double the nuts i think. It really does. Could I cut the alcohol in half and replace the missing liquid by something else? Fruit cake anyone? At one point, my mom even attempted a very short-lived fruit cake business – that is until she realized that it is one of those expensive desserts to make (dried fruit and booze!) im looking forward to make this! This fruit cake, from Belinda Jeffrey’s book, Mix & Bake, is dense and really moist and has to be the easiest I have ever made, and doesn’t even need an electric mixer. Also why isn’t the rum used to wrap it. This fruit cake batter is sticky and packed with dried fruit pieces, which means that it can be prone to sticking, and thanks to the ceramic, easy release coating, I didn’t have to grease or line the loaf pan with parchment paper. These photos are amazing, Laura (although, they’re always pretty darn great!)!!!! Thank you All-Clad for sponsoring this post! I used 7 small loaf tins and the bake was awesome! This fruit cake recipe, which yields two standard loaf cakes, is all about the dried fruit. As you may know, there's a very famous recipe, Mrs. Harvey's White Fruitcake, but many other have followed after. I hope this helps! Really just depends on the person! It looks as though you may have made some coverts! To test, insert a skewer into the center of the cake if it comes out clean your cake is ready. I’m assuming so, but I’ve cut up all the dried fruit ready for soaking and it’s LOADS–I just don’t think 6 liquid ounces will come close to soaking all of it, given that 6 ounces is less than 1 cup! Slightly biased, but hope you agree! I learned to love her fruitcake … But times change and we move forward and this recipe is outstanding !Last year I gifted this cake to my fruitcake loving friends and family. I’ve never tried this and am a bit hesitant to advise it (especially since it’s not a cheap recipe to make and I don’t want you to get bad results), because it is VERY fruit filled and I’m worried there wouldn’t be much structure left if you used a non-gluten nut flour. Can i ask should i soak with the nuts? One question (if you’re still checking! this will be the first year i use dried fruit instead of candied and your recipe looks the most promising! graye, Hello Laura! a bit raisin-y, tho. What can we use to substitute instead? The temperature gets adjusted depending on the material. Here you'll find a mixture of elegant, yet approachable recipes and cooking tips to help you become a more confident cook! Thanks for the kind words. Thank you. Using your hands, pack batter firmly and fill in open spaces. Please do come back and let me know what you think of the cake if you make it! also, i think i will stick with the citrus zest flavor. My friend and I love your recipe. It is a TON of fruit, but you also end up soaking the baked fruitcake afterwards in booze, so in that sense it gains more moisture. Nearly six years have passed and since then, it has become one of the most popular holiday recipes on A Beautiful Plate. While this recipe has received rave reviews and become a staple for many readers, I’ve teamed up with All-Clad to showcase their new Pro-Release Bakeware Set and Silicone Tools, and give this fruit cake recipe a new and improved update for the holiday season. Can I substitute or use other types of dried fruit? (Btw, I’m American, but moved to the UK earlier this year–still getting used to everything British!) The result: The loaves are very humid, the dough feels as it was raw, even though they were in the oven for more than ninety minutes.Please, do you have any suggestions of how to solve the crumbling problem.Thanks for your answer.Regards,Mr. Honestly, my mom is the expert at fruit cake (not me, ha! I would soak it the once and as long as it is well-wrapped, it should be fine in the fridge for an extended period of time. The holidays are hectic enough without worrying about your baked goods sticking! Yes, they should have been in the dry flour mixture (ingredients are listed in order of use). The fruit should be mixed but it won’t be sitting in huge quantities of alcohol. Feel free to ask other questions if you have them.  People will have to vote affirmatively to get one next year. I will test in 4-6 weeks. This cake yields two loaf cakes. Hi! Thanks for the lovely write-up and beautiful photos of our fruitcake! You could definitely use a good quality triple sec, or even Grand Marnier (if you feel like splurging). So glad that I found ya! Delicious, but I want to let it set a few weeks. Wow! In terms of the crystallized ginger, you can definitely omit it – you might want to add a teaspoon of ground ginger (if you have it) to add a little bit of that flavor, because it is one of my favorite additions. I couldn’t find the metric conversion or by weight recipe. Hmm. It really depends on your taste preference – if you enjoy triple sec (orange), that might be for you! As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Thank you so much for your comment, I’m so glad you’re such a fan of this fruitcake! It is simply to hydrate the fruits and then the alcohol cooks off in the baking process – technically you could use other alcohols for that part of the recipe if you prefer. The fruit cake batter is transferred and divided between two loaf pans and baked in a loaf tin at a low temperature for nearly an hour and a half. What do you think? Thank you for sharing. Do people serve this cake to children and recovering alcoholis?  I’ve got to try it! We can make moist fruit cake in 3 simple steps. I’ve made your fruit cake before and it was a real hit, but I SWORE there were currants in the recipe! You most likely could, but it is a much stronger flavored alcohol, so it is really up to you and your taste preferences! I wouldn’t personally recommend it, but if you like the taste of marsala (because that flavor will be quite notice since that’s what you’re using to soak the cake), feel free to try it! I can’t wait. Place the pan in an oven tray and add boiling water to the tray. I like the dark chocolate added! Boiled fruit loaf - very quick & easy 118 reviews . Remove the bowl from the stand mixer. Is there aby reason why I cant add the orange juice today to expand the fluid available to soak into the fruit? The problem, I am not used to alcoholic drinks, I asked for Triple Sec orange flavor and they gave me London XXX it is a Medium Sweeet wine. Perfect for everything from afternoon tea to a snack, to a rich wedding or Christmas cake. Quick & Easy Fruit Cake 133 reviews . Hi Joan! just so the alcoholic drink will evaporate and then I will buy the properly suggested sherry or triple sec to age it. We’ve distilled the choices down to our top 7 best Christmas cake recipes. Christmas fruit cakes are a big deal here, and my mom absolutely loves them. Unfortunately I don’t think that’s a good substitute in this case – the texture and moisture level is just very different, and it wouldn’t serve the same purpose. 4.71 from 44 votes. Yay! Can I use Cream sherry to soak the fruit instead of rum? I would try to find something on the drier side personally (like an Amontillado), but it will work. Hi Laura, your cake looks amazing.I am going to give a try but I don’t have dark rum. We use a serrated knife to cut it into thin slices or cut regular slices in half. Yes! Hope this helps! The cake seems very sturdy, not likely to break at all. The cake is very, very moist, but should not be extremely crumbly. Pour applesauce over sugar and butter (or coconut oil, whichever you used). https://www.canadianliving.com/.../article/15-festive-fruitcake-recipes Also, if I tried making this in those paper single-use loaf pans, the ones that you don’t remove but can gift as is, I can only soak the top I suppose. Notify me of follow-up comments via e-mail. It sure did with me for 59 years. ... Artboard... Sugar-crunch fruitcake. Question, is it okay to put wine? I was raised on it! Looking forward to your mom’s advice on marzipan and icing. 🙂, I have yet to try fruitcake, actually… unfortunately with all its glorious boozy-ness I have to miss out again this year, but I’m making next year the year I finally try fruitcake! My mom will be so honored to hear this. But your Australian, so it’s not weird at all 😉. Hahaha! Thanks for sharing world’s best fruitcake recipe. 54 minutes baking time for the mini-loaves! Truly looks like the worlds best fruitcake. It has been a holiday staple in our household for as long as I can remember. Do you think they would work ok? If it smells like triple sec and is a similar alcohol content, I would say sure? Also added metric weights. I (and others!) Hi Jean! Thanks! Hope you have a chance to make it.Â. Hi Tanya! Did you let it soak with the cheesecloth for a week or two before slicing/giving away? Flavor is just as good, if not better!  If I had had THIS when I was a kid, life would have been VERY different. Thank youÂ. Your recipe made my day. shrug! I was looking for a booze-soaked, dried-fruit and nuts grain-free sort of fruitcake I could make, partly for an excuse to soak it in sherry (or something). Kudos to your mother and you for sharing with us.. Kim & Christopher 🥮💕👌🥰. But maybe the rum isn’t really supposed to soak all the fruit? I plan on making them this weekend to give it time to soak over the next 3 weeks until Christmas. My family are all about the British Christmas too! In fact we seem to have gone fruitcake crazy! This looks great except for the flour…….. Just leftover rum for the cheesecloth. Can I put it back in the oven, 300 farenheit just to make the alcohol evaporate for maybe 5 mins. Oh my gosh sorry. They are slightly golden – they shouldn’t be pale and they definitely shouldn’t be mushy, and it will start to pull slightly from the sides. An quick and easy fruit cake for tea time. Well, I happen to be a fruitcake lover, and this one is so similar to my family’s plum pudding! Best Rich Fruit Cake Recipe, Rich Fruit Cake Recipes, Fruitcake Recipe, Fruit Cake for Christmas Bake in a double boiler. I plan on making this over the weekend! Enjoy the rest of the fruit cake! All thanks to you, keep up the good work and keep amazing us with your recipes. You can eat part of it too, haha. Being a non drinker, I actually added nearly half a bottle of rum. Gosh I hope you see this comment soon my fruit is soaking. Does it matter? thank you.Â. My dad was a pastor and we always got several fruitcakes at Christmas. I’m almost positive it is a medium sherry (not dry but definitely not the sweetest either–and definitely not cream sherry!). For now they all sit in a bag in my fridge. This fruitcake looks awesome. Best tasting  fruitcake!  They add a wet plumpness. I read that early this morning and I’m not sure why my brain read “paper towels” and not kitchen towels (as you said!). We have 9 and that feels big sometimes.   Merry Christmas.Â, So thrilled to hear that you like how the fruit cakes came out! Also – I think rum could also definitely work if you prefer that flavor. I could not find dried apples/pears; i used dried pineapple that was sweetened, and the cherries were also sweetened. But he likes it with marzipan and icing (traditional British–I live in the UK).  or i need to drain the fruits? I grew up with that fruitcake with glazed cherries and bitter fruit My dear mother  made a lovely dark version of it and  would take out those old fashioned tins to bake them in. OMG! https://www.irishcentral.com/culture/food-drink/irish-christmas-cake-recipe Hi Alisyn! Best Fruit Cake Recipe. Haha! I’d like to make for my dad but I’m not on the ball and it’s super close to Christmas lol. I’m soaking the fruit now. Hi Leah! I would be all over this, though. Perfect for keeping one to yourself and another for gifting (or saving for later, your personal choice!). You’re not imagining thing. If you ever try fruitcake, definitely make sure it’s homemade!! You could definitely try that, the flavor will not be the same though and it won’t be quite as moist because the soaking step once it’s baked also adds even more moisture/flavor. I would leave as is! I made this fruitcake for my friends , Everyone of them have liked it. If so HOW do you put it in the pan?  Imagine a moist spice cake or carrot cake cousin, FULL of MOIST, TENDER, RUMMY fruit and nuts that are just better than al dente. So happy to hear this! I like both equally, but tend to lean more towards the sherry. Thanks again! Hope this helps! Bake in oven for at least 1 hour 30 minutes or till skewer comes out clean. It will also make it easier to remove. to the batter the next day. Celebrate the time-honored holiday tradition of fruitcake with these unfussy recipes from the chefs at Food Network. Woh! It does not matter that I use a bread knife or any other kind.I followed the recipe all the way. Place the pan in an oven tray and add boiling water to the tray. I only have cotton, linen towels are very difficult to find here. Yes – you could definitely use cream sherry if you prefer. After soaking the fruit in it overnight, when I whiffed it, I nearly got drunk!! Unfortunately, I have never tried doing this, so I can’t say if a substitute would work (and wouldn’t want the recipe to not work out without having tested it myself). Hi, would i be able to soak the cake in dark rum for approx 2 weeks instead of using sherry or triple sec? SO GOOD!! All content is copyright of A BEAUTIFUL PLATE and Laura Davidson, © 2010-2019, unless otherwise noted. I haven’t given this recipe of your’s a shot yet, but from the looks of it, I think I’ll be making it and finishing it as soon as it is out of my oven. Baked the cakes today and they smell amazing! !  It could just be a slip up on my end too. I’ve never made fruitcake before so not quite sure. Looks good, tastes wonderful, but I have a problem: the cake crumbles when you cut it. Thanks so much for the compliments Natalie! Cover up with marzipan and royal icing. Age for 6 weeks in my cool garage. They all have a weird funny taste. I think it will be fairly obvious when you start baking! It does have the crystalized It is the size of a normal size loaf cake (if that helps) – I would say at least 10 because it is fairly rich and a little goes a long way. You can get more information here. Thank you for this recipe. Thanks so much!! This fruitcake tastes almost the same as the fruitcake we used to purchase and my family LOVED it! Thanks so much for your comment and questions. I think it will work but want your thoughts. Wow your photos are beautiful!! With such a long and rich tradition the variations and options seem endless. Oops!!! Thinking i need to make this for big family Christmas (am I do mean big, 20+). 25369 recipes. Fruit Cake Ingredients: 1 and 1/2 cups (180 grams) unbleached all-purpose flour 1/2 teaspoon baking powder 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1 teaspoon ground ginger 1/4 teaspoon ground …

Humbucker Pickups Cover, Sago Pudding Nz, Rent Wave Runners, Bahco Wide Jaw Adjustable Wrench 6", Spring Integration Vs Kafka, Lipton Southern Sweet Tea,