[35] "Damage" was released to radio on August 6. 17 [30], The following personnel contributed to Damage:[30], CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (, "Invented - Jimmy Eat World | Songs, Reviews, Credits", "Exclusive: Jimmy Eat World Announce New Album Details", "Interview with Tom Linton from Jimmy Eat World: Re-Invented", "Jimmy Eat World's Next Album Is an 'Adult Breakup Record, "Jim Adkins (Jimmy Eat World) performs new songs live; catch the band at Bamboozle", "Jimmy Eat World to record new album "in about a month, "Jimmy Eat World finish tracking new album", "Jimmy Eat World finish mixing new album", "NEWS: Jimmy Eat World confirm currently mastering their upcoming studio album! Damage doesn't offend, but it doesn't offer much that's memorable, either. The album contains a number of typical JEW-style. 2. - Bleed American. Frontman Jim Adkins and drummer Zach Lind, who had been friends since preschool, joined guitarist Tom Linton and bassist Mitch Porter to try their hand at music. At nearly no point here does the crumbling & destroyed relationship being detailed throughout feel like it's between people not old enough to drink. We wanted someone to be more like a partner, an ideas guy with fresh ears. [41] In May, the group played a brief US tour. ... [With Damage] I'm asking myself the same kinds of questions about things, it's just that I'm in a different place in life, a completely different environment. Damage reached number 14 on the US Billboard 200 after selling 24,000 copies in its first week. [18] "How'd You Have Me" starts with ringing guitars, which recalled "Pride (In the Name of Love)" (1984) by U2, prior to evolving into a garage rock number, complete with shouting. [15] "Please Say No" is a ballad[14] that evokes the Bleed American song "Hear You Me",[19] and utilizes electronic elements during the chorus sections. It featured "Damage" and a cover of the Radiohead track, "Stop Whispering". At The Disco, Alkaline Trio Confirm Two Sidewaves", "Paramore, Jimmy Eat World, A Day To Remember, more added to Reading And Leeds", "Critic Reviews for Damage by Jimmy Eat World", "Few bands do heartache with as much majesty", "Jimmy Eat World Chart History (Top Alternative Albums)", "Jimmy Eat World Chart History (Top Rock Albums)", "Jimmy Eat World Chart History (Top Tastemaker Albums)", "Jimmy Eat World Chart History (Digital Albums)", "Australiancharts.com – Jimmy Eat World – Damage", "Jimmy Eat World | Artist | Official Charts", "Offiziellecharts.de – Jimmy Eat World – Damage", "Swisscharts.com – Jimmy Eat World – Damage", "日本語タイトル: ダメージ/ ジミー・イート・ワールド| JIMMY EAT WORLD:Damage", "Austriancharts.at – Jimmy Eat World – Damage", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Damage_(Jimmy_Eat_World_album)&oldid=989018796, All Wikipedia articles written in American English, Short description is different from Wikidata, Album chart usages for BillboardAlternative, Album chart usages for BillboardTastemaker, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, Tom Linton – guitar, backing vocals, organ, Morning Breath Inc. – art direction, design, This page was last edited on 16 November 2020, at 16:16. Specifically, the ballads continue to falter - "Please Say No" features a stalwart supporting cast, but quickly turns monotonous with the lackadaisical what-could-have-been, what-will … I just breathe you each day. Our Stores Are Open Book Annex Membership Educators Gift Cards Stores & Events Help All Books ebooks NOOK Textbooks Newsstand Teens & YA Kids Toys Games & Collectibles Stationery & Gifts Movies & TV Music Book Annex [14] "I Will Steal You Back" was reminiscent of a demo from the Futures (2004)-era. In particular, fans of an earlier period in JEW's career will enjoy 'I will steal you back'. Lyrics and video for the song Damage by Jimmy Eat World - Songfacts View Jimmy Eat World song lyrics by popularity along with songs featured in, albums, videos and song meanings. [36] In September, the group went on a UK tour. In interviews lately, they described this as an “adult breakup album”, and admittedly this got me a little hesitant at first. Critic Reviews Jimmy Eat World – Hear You Me sweetdreamz had a memory comment on Hear You Me rated up by umpalumpa . at the Disco and Alkaline Trio. 1. With its recurring themes of heartache and break-ups, Jimmy Eat World's eighth album feels intensely personal. Buy Jimmy Eat World's album titled Damage. "[48], Damage debuted at number 14 on the US Billboard 200 chart, selling 24,000 copies in its first week. The album contains a number of typical JEW-style songs, which are lyrically deep and full of excellent guitar hooks. Twenty years later, on their first album since 2010, the Arizona guys still sound sweet. Side A contains the title track "Damage" from the band's eighth studio album Damage. This is a pretty good album and it is better than their previous two releases, although the last two songs Byebyelove and You Were Good are. From the album 'Damage' available now! [32] Between June and August, the group went on a headlining US tour. The Middle. Notable Video Game Releases: New and Upcoming, December Preview: 16 TV Shows & New Movies to Watch at Home, Neil Young Archives Vol. The record is centered around a concept of the way long-term relationships go awry. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts These songs aren’t just lovelorn poetry or odes of heartbreak; they’re full stories, five-minute films, expansive novels written in staves, rests, and music notes for the rest of us to bleed to. I can't have any empathy. Fortunately though, for the most part, that didn't happen here. "[45] Rolling Stone's Nick Catucci gave the album a negative review, stating: "On their first album since 2010, the Arizona guys still sound sweet. [27] In May, the group embarked on a brief US tour, dubbed the Arizona "Home-State" Tour. I want someone who lives up to this granduer in my head And you don't do much to sell me I'd be best with you instead. "[4], Akins intentionally wrote love songs, the kind that attracted him dealt with "adversity and emotional injury. Press J to jump to the feed. We have a better idea of what we want now, so we didn't need someone that was heavy-handed. The title track 'Damage' and opener 'Appreciation' are other highlights. Both of us swimming in the same polluted mess. [18] It talks about coming to terms with a failed relationship. Fans who dismissed the band as being on autopilot after Invented was released should give Damage a try; they'll find a band that's focused, relatable and on top of their game. Generally favorable reviews Shortly put, Jimmy Eat World's 'Damage' is their finest work since 2007's 'Chase This Light'. based on [...] The album also builds nicely upon the power pop/dance-rock vibe of their 2010 release, Invented, with an even more focused, lyrical approach that helps make this one of the band's most cathartic and moving albums of its career. “Lucky Denver Mint” – Clarity (1999) Sixteen years old, “Lucky Denver Mint” still stands as the … "[4], The following day, the group played "I Will Steal You Back" and "Damage" on Jimmy Kimmel Live!. [22] The cover, created by Morning Breath Inc, uses a minimalistic approach: an umbrella that is radiating sunlight against blue fog. Sign in to get statistics for ... Show all 98 Jimmy Eat World songs. iTunes: http://smarturl.it/damage // Amazon: http://smarturl.it/DamageAm // CD + TShirt: http://bit.ly/CDandTShirt Their debut self-titled album(1994) was released with Linton singing most of the lead vocals on the album. It was released on June 11, 2013, through RCA and Exotic Location Recordings. [15], "No, Never" is a grunge-like number[19] that incorporates new wave synthesizer flourishes. If you have a happy song about how happy you are, ... [t]here's no story there for me. [8 Jun 2013, p.53]. I'll stand by Bleed American as my favorite album from them, but one interesting thing about Damage that puts it slightly above other JEW albums to me is its maturity. Stints of the United Kingdom, the US and Europe followed, leading up to an appearance at Reading and Leeds Festivals. Only 1,800 copies of the EP were pressed (1,500 in the US and 300 internationally). [44] AbsolutePunk's Craig Manning gave the album a very positive review, writing: "Damage is unequivocally my favorite album of the year so far, and I have a feeling that a lot of people ... are going to share that sentiment. Recorded on vintage equipment in the home studio of producer Alain Johannes (Queens of the Stone Age), Damage has a warm, organic sound. Mainly because I was afraid JEW (best band acronym ever) would basically become complacent in their themes & make something that's lyrically cliché, phoned-in & not worth analyzing. [31] A few days after the album's release, the group performed at Download Festival in the UK. Described as an adult breakup album, Damage is a power pop and rock album. As of October 2016, the album has sold 50,000 copies. While those concerns among diehards might be temporarily muted by standard Jimmy Eat World lead single I Will Steal You Back, Damage’s title track, Book Of Love, and especially Please Say No all expose a softer sensitive side (as opposed to a screaming sensitive side) to Adkins and Jimmy Eat World, as Please Say No’s contradictory main plea involves a lover telling his girl to say “no” after begging her to … Damage finds them rejuvenated. [59], All songs written by Jimmy Eat World. [28] Damage was made available for streaming on June 3 through the group's website, before being released on June 11 through RCA[29] and Exotic Location Recordings. Jimmy Eat World has become a purveyor of modern rock that just so happens to have a noisier background that jerks like me won't let it live down. [...] With no reason to buck the trend, Damage very much continues the Arizonan four-piece's reliability streak. [39] In November, the group went on a European tour with support from Rival Schools. I hate the way I feel, but I don't think I can change. They're also hall-monitor dull – these meat and potatoes sure could use some fresh gravy. Jimmy Eat World Damage After one listen of Damage, Jimmy Eat World’s eighth full-length (and first for RCA Records), one thing will be abundantly clear: Either frontman Jim … On the whole, the album is an improvement from the Arizona quartet, but the exceptionally mellow nature of the album keeps it from being anywhere near as successful as a rock album as 'Bleed American' or 'Futures'. Four singles from the album charted within the Top 20 positions of the Alternative Songs chart, with "The Middle"… read more [34] Shortly afterwards, the group appeared on Conan performing "Damage". "[12], Drowned in Sound's Sammy Maine, however, gave the album a mixed review, writing: "There's flashes of Jimmy Eat World brilliance and even a few classics in there, but this is an album that's also prone to a few fillers and cheesy one liners. "[13] Scott Heisel, writing for Alternative Press, praised Johannes' production, stating: "Thankfully, Damage easily bests the previous two Jimmy Eat World full lengths, and its high points rival those of Futures and Bleed American. It's what you'd hope a breakup album by a band in their mid-late 30's would sound like; more like a divorce than a schoolyard split. The four-piece's commercial breakthrough came with the successful release of several singles from the album Bleed American (2001). Jimmy Eat World - Damage music album discussion and ratings. "[16] Guitarist and backing vocalist Tom Linton elaborated that it featured Adkins playing an acoustic guitar, recording it "from the beginning to the end live. We have 16 albums and 164 song lyrics in our database. In addition, the album's track listing and artwork were revealed. For what we wanted to do he felt like the right guy. The band spent September and October 2012 at producer Alain Johannes' house in Los Angeles, California recording their next album with analog tape and Pro Tools. Listen to your favorite songs from Damage by Jimmy Eat World Now. It peaked in the top 10 of other Billboard component charts: Alterntive, Digital, Rock, and Tastemaker Albums. Jimmy Eat World I want someone who lives up to this grandeur in my head And you don’t do much to sell me I’d be best with you instead. "[15], AllMusic's Matt Collar also gave the album a positive review, stating: "Damage, is a mature breakup album that still retains all of the band's youthful, sock-to-the-gut pop energy. "[14], Rock Sound named Damage "Album of the Month", writing: "Jimmy Eat World are undoubtedly an enigma. [15] "You Were Good" employs lo-fi acoustic guitars and droning,[18] reminiscent of the early works of Guided by Voices. After a couple of stellar punk-pop records in the late 1990s they found themselves dropped from Capitol Records. [43], Damage received largely positive reviews from music critics upon its release. [20] It sees the narrator telling his partner to express "no" after pleading with to take him to a place where no one knows them. A Praise Chorus. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. [26] On April 20, the group released a 7" vinyl for Record Store Day. They originally formed with a punk rock sound and first released a demo tape in 1993, followed by a debut EP titled One, Two, Three, Four in 1994. "As you get older it's more interesting to have a theme that everything tries to support - I would say this album has a … It's the observation and experience of the world around you, and you develop the ideas from that. Damage is the eighth studio album by American rock band Jimmy Eat World. [38] It included an appearance at Austin City Limits Music Festival. Overall, Damage isn't my favorite album from JEW, but it's a welcome addition to their catalog that dishes out familiar themes from a different perspective. At Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating out of 100 to reviews from mainstream critics, the album has received an average score of 71, based on 17 reviews, indicating "generally favourable" feedback. Complete your Jimmy Eat World collection. Jimmy Eat World ... Damage. "[21], On April 3, 2013, Damage was announced for release in June. © 2020 METACRITIC, A RED VENTURES COMPANY. "[47] Consequence of Sound's Ryan Bray wrote: "In their quest to update the breakup record for those a bit too old to mope and stew in their juices, Jimmy Eat World succeeds here for the most part. [18] The mid-tempo rock track "Book of Love" was reminiscent of the material on Chase This Light (2007),[15] We, the Vehicles (2005) by Maritime,[14] and Okkervil River. [12] The title-track sees the narrator witness his partner leave amidst broken promises and big expectations. [15] According to Adkins, the song's bridge section was based on an idea he had since 1998. [17] "Lean" opens with a Bruce Springsteen-esque Americana guitar riff, and continues with palm mutes, vocal harmonies and distorted guitar parts. Still, some of it will comfort you when you've been depressed or confused by your life. Society might expect those broaching 40 to have their shit more or less figured out, but Damage proves you're never too old to reevaluate and take stock of the past. As emo has grown up, so has Jimmy Eat World. In the 20 years since Jimmy Eat World recorded its first album, and more than a decade since Bleed American marked its commercial peak, the band has comfortably settled into “elder statesman” status, predictably releasing solid albums every three years with little fanfare. Within the span of a couple of years, the band rec… The song impacted radio on August 6, 2013. [5] In July, drummer Zach Lind revealed that the group were expecting to record within a month. ", "Jimmy Eat World's Jim Adkins on Damage, gear and love songs", "Jimmy Eat World Discuss Getting 'Lucky' With 'The Middle,' Recording New Album 'Damage, "Jimmy Eat World announce new album, 'Damage, "Dissected: Jimmy Eat World (with Jim Adkins)", "Jimmy Eat World stream new single, "I Will Steal You Back, "Jimmy Eat World premiere "I Will Steal You Back" lyric video", "Jimmy Eat World releasing new single and Radiohead cover on Record Store Day", "Jimmy Eat World post "I Will Steal You Back" video", "Jimmy Eat World stream new album, 'Damage, "Watch Jimmy Eat World perform on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live, "A Day To Remember, Gaslight Anthem, Enter Shikari, Motionless In White announced for Download 2013", "Jimmy Eat World announce 'Damage' headlining tour", "Jimmy Eat World Release Itunes Sessions Ep;", "Jimmy Eat World cover Taylor Swift once again, this time for 'Conan, "Jimmy Eat World announce additional UK dates", "Fun., The Cure, Jimmy Eat World, MUSE announced for Austin City Limits", "B-side Stream: Rival Schools, "Accept The Compliment, "Jimmy Eat World, Panic! [8] Mixing was finished by November 30,[9] and mastering began in early December. Recorded to tape by Alain Johannes (Queens of the Stone Age, No Doubt), the album is full-bodied and warm, with an organic bleed from the drum mics and a sonic resonance you just can't get digitally. [2] As touring in support of the album was ending by late 2011,[3] the band began writing new material for their next album in early 2012. Maybe the connection will come on some late and sweltering summer night, and a teenage kid will be climbing into his car with heartbreak on his mind and nothing left to say. Jimmy Eat World's songs: Listen to songs by Jimmy Eat World on Myspace, Stream Free Online Music by Jimmy Eat World Official. Jimmy Eat World has released ten studio albums, the last nine featuring the current lineup. As a result, Adkins said the sound was "raw and warm. The "consequences to what the characters are going through are more significant. [4] By March 2012, frontman Jim Adkins debuted two new songs, "Book of Love" and "You Were Good", during a solo show. "[11], Musically, Damage is a power pop[12] and rock album,[13][14] drawing comparison to Wasting Light (2011)-era Foo Fighters,[15] and the band's own Bleed American (2001). Damage is the eighth studio album by American rock band Jimmy Eat World. 2013 Preview SONG TIME Appreciation. I tried to reflect that in what the lyrics are. It was met with a favorable reaction from music critics, being found as an enjoyable listen by many. The main theme of the album is heartache, and nobody does it better than Jimmy Eat World's singer/guitarist Jim Adkins. Jimmy Eat World. [No. Each of "Damages" ten tracks ooze with yearning, disappointment, bittersweet goodbyes and, most imporantly, hooks. I just breathe you each day. "[19] The A.V. [50] It charted on several Billboard component charts: number two on Alternative Albums,[51] number four on Rock Albums,[52] number eight on Tastemaker Albums,[53] and number nine on Digital Albums. Stream ad-free with Amazon Music Unlimited on mobile, desktop, and tablet. [23] "I Will Steal You Back" was made available for streaming on April 10,[24] and released to radio on April 16. Bleed American. 1,081. What's this? They're also hall-monitor dull--these meat and potatoes sure could use some fresh gravy. [1] It marked the end of their recording contract, enabling the band to become free agents. Download our mobile app now. And you don't do much to sell me I'd be best with you instead. Now eight albums deep into their career, they never really slumped into any sort of mid-season funk that other bands of their age and ilk have. Of course they've never been downright whiny in their breakup songs, but this seems to perfectly fit what the band described it as. [14] Similar to Invented, which roughly revolved around a theme, Damage was "an attempt at making an adult breakup record", according to Adkins. II (1972-1976) [Box Set], Idiot Prayer: Nick Cave Alone at Alexandra Palace, Music title data, credits, and images provided by, Movie title data, credits, and poster art provided by, I want someone who lives up to this grandeur in my head Jimmy Eat World released their seventh album Invented in September 2010 through DGC and Interscope Records. This is a pretty good album and it is better than their previous two releases, although the last two songs Byebyelove and You Were Good are rather weak in comparison to the other songs. Jimmy Eat World were the schoolboy innocents of the mid-Nineties emo scene, plying lively, down-the-middle tunes applicable to smooching teens of … Shortly put, Jimmy Eat World's 'Damage' is their finest work since 2007's 'Chase This Light'. Generally favorable reviews- based on 11 Ratings, Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition, The Godfather Coda: The Death of Michael Corleone. 3:16 PREVIEW Damage. [4], The recording process contrasted the band's previous two studio albums, Chase This Light (2007) and Invented, both of which were done at the band's rehearsal space in Arizona. A two-track 7-inch single was first released on April 20, 2013 as a Record Store Day exclusive. This is a band that should be beyond mediocre offerings but sadly, there's just one too many on Damage. The main theme of the album is heartache, and nobody does it better than Jimmy Eat World's singer/guitarist Jim Adkins. It was released on June 11, 2013, through RCA and Exotic Location Recordings. If you are over 25 and have been in a romantic relationship, Damage will not confront you with the unfamiliar, or make you suddenly realize you've never understood yourself like you do now. [42] In August, the group appeared at Reading and Leeds Festivals in the UK. [58] Alternative Press included the album on their list of the essential albums of the year. The title-track "Damage" was released as a radio single in August. [14] The penultimate song "Byebyelove" channeled the sound of Clarity with its rough production, minimalistic form and crescendos. As touring in support of Invented (2010) was winding down by late 2011, the band started writing new material in early 2012. Discover releases, reviews, credits, songs, and more about Jimmy Eat World - Damage at Discogs. [24] On May 31, a music video was released for "I Will Steal You Back". Just as listeners can expect Jimmy Eat World's aforementioned signature sound, the same faults can be anticipated as well. when i was 15 i moved to a new town and knew no one. He further added, they "experimented around a little bit with fleshing it out ... in a full band sense, but at the end of the day we all ... agreed it sounded better with just me and a guitar and the weirdo, Indian drone thing on there. There was less an emphasis on it being clean and perfect ... [and] more about the performance than it sounding pristine. About Jimmy Eat World. "[4] Discussing Johannes' contributions, Adkins stated that he had "the best ideas. [30] Regarding RCA, Adkins noted: "There's a lot of people there we've just crossed paths with over the years and who have been really supportive of us even if they didn't have a stake in how our records did. "[16], The opening track "Appreciation" switches between the 4/4 and 3/4 time signatures. [33] On July 23, an iTunes Sessions EP was released, which featured renditions of "Damage", "Appreciation" and "I Will Steal You Back". [11] The band used tape alongside a computer to record the sessions. Top 5 tracks: Byebyelove, Damage, Lean, I Will Steal You Back, You Were Good Score: 78/100 … Expand Find Jimmy Eat World bio, music, credits, awards, & streaming links on AllMusic - Arizona band whose upbeat version of pop-punk and… Mainly because. View concert statistics of Damage by Jimmy Eat World played live. Check out who covered the song and in which years it was played and how often! 3:07 ... More by Jimmy Eat World. And I think it feels better for what the songs are. [25] The following day, a lyric video was released. "I Will Steal You Back" was released as the lead single in April 2013, and Jimmy Eat World spent the next few months touring across the United States. Described as an adult breakup album, Damage is a power pop and rock Club's Kyle Ryan gave the album a mostly negative review, stating: "While the group's predictability has traditionally been a positive assurance of quality, it's now more indicative of stasis. 359,108. Side B features Jimmy Eat World's cover version of Radiohead's song "Stop Whispering". 2012 3:06. Fast-forward to the present, and Jimmy Eat World's latest LP, Damage, attempts to hit the same marks as their golden period (or really any other period) -- … What you used Jimmy Eat World for around their peak (Bleed American, 2001) was to psych yourself up, if you were the kind of person who got psyched up with words.Songs … I hate the way I feel, but I. [14] It talks about the narrator realizing the error of his ways. It also charted in Australia, Austria, Germany, Switzerland, and the UK. Each of "Damages" ten tracks ooze with yearning, disappointment, bittersweet goodbyes and, most imporantly, hooks. 100, p.55]. [54] Outside of the US, the album reached number 26 in Australia,[55] number 38 in the UK,[56] number 41 in Germany,[57] number 54 in Austria,[55] and number 55 in Switzerland. This is the title track of Jimmy Eat World's eighth studio album Damage. The band performed songs on talk shows such as Jimmy Kimmel Live! Are we only damaging the little we have left? [40] In February 2014, the band appeared at Soundwave festival in Australia; alongside this, they played two sideshows with Panic! r/JimmyEatWorld: Jimmy Eat World: A reddit community. [20] It began as an acoustic-based piece, however, when they "tried to take it out of that world, we realized that without the acoustic guitar in there as a bed, it didn't feel the same without it being there", according to Adkins. Described as an adult breakup album by lead singer Jim Adkins, the eighth studio release for the Arizona rock band was produced by Alain Johannes. The album contains a few tracks which seem rather lethargic and apathetic, namely 'Byebyelove' and 'Book of Love'. This permits recognition of well-penned, upbeat numbers like Appreciation" and "How'd You Have Me." and Conan. "[11] He compared the process of writing the lyrics to that of the band's third studio album, Clarity (1999), stating: "...that's how I approached a lot of emotional things in those days. The band spent September and October 2012 at producer Alain Johannes' house in Los Angeles, California recording their next album with analog tape and Pro Tools. [6] On September 5, the group begun recording,[7] and by October 5, they had finished and were waiting to mix the recordings. Jimmy Eat World formed in 1993 in Mesa, Arizona. I'm 37 and the world around me is a lot different than when I was writing breakup songs in my 20s. In interviews lately, they described this as an “adult breakup album”, and admittedly this got me a little hesitant at first. I hate the way I feel, but I don’t think I can change. But still, those issues don't take away from the overall listen too much. Lyrics to 'Damage' by Jimmy Eat World. There are a couple of duds, (‘Book Of Love’, ‘Please Say No’), but, as forlorn closer ‘You Were Right’ ably demonstrates, few bands do heartache with as much majesty. [10] Sessions were held at producer Alain Johannes' home in Los Angeles, California, on both analog tape and Pro Tools. Jimmy Eat World. Jimmy Eat World - Damage Ben Taylor; 11 videos; 158,186 views; Last updated on Aug 8, 2013; Play all Share. [37] In September and October, the group went on a headlining US tour.

Transmute Ability Fire Emblem, Small Milk Cartons In Bulk, Fairlife Chocolate Milk Post Workout, Mabe Pearl Spiritual Meaning, Great Value Colombian Coffee Calories, Ethics In Public Administration, Nature Photography Course, Multiple Case Study In Qualitative Research, How To Keep Cookies Soft After Baking,