IITA’s 1000-hectare land was actually a donation of the Nigerian government, with an annual rental fee of one peppercorn (if demanded). The government also agreed to compensate the approximately 3,000 people living on the site; they resettled them in a new village they called Ibadan Parapo, (now more popularly known as Shasha).
The government also provided IITA with an 80-ha site in Onne when the institute needed a high-rainfall station in an acid-soil area. And during the oil boom in the country, the government became the first among host countries to participate in the funding of these international agricultural research centers, pledging $800,000 annually to the CGIAR system. The government also granted special legal status to IITA in Decree no. 32, giving it several privileges that have been consistently honored.
Lawani, S. 1992. History and Evolution of IITA’s Scientific Program. Sustainable Food Production in sub-Saharan Africa, pp. 1-23.